13 July 2010

lost in the forest (Day 5 part 3)


We'd originally planned to go around Newton House Plantation, but from where we were standing it looked like there was a clear path through the middle. So we took that. It turned out to be a logging track that led us deep inside the wood before stopping. We had the demoralising choice of going right back out the way we came and around the long way, or trying to force our way through the dense forest and felled trees to the other side.

This is the one place where the sat nav on my phone really saved our bacon. Looking at the map I could see where we were, I could see what direction we were looking, and I could see that if we forced our way through the trees to our right, there was a path on the other side. Leaving the bike, I pushed through to get a look, and sure enough, far below was the path, winding along beside a stream. It wasn't an easy descent, with the dead trees cracking beneath our weight, but we made it down with only minor scratches and not a few twigs stuck in our socks.

From there, the ride out was challenging, crossing the stream a few times, balancing along narrow paths with impressive drops to the brook below, turning corners to be faced with unexpected steep climbs or obstacles, but the path turned into a lane, the lane turned into a road and when we got to the end of that road, we were on the main A171 to Robin Hood's Bay.
As we blasted down the hill towards the sea I wished I'd put my phone back on the handlebars after we came out of the woods, but there was no way I was stopping to put it back now. The gradients were insane - 40% at one point according to the signs, and I've no idea what speed we were doing. Well within the speed limit, I'm sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment