12 July 2010

To the Moors (Day 4 part 1)

Acorn corner to Swainby

First thing on Thursday morning, we rode back through East Cowton. Alex had arranged our final night in a hamlet called Castleton, bang in the middle of the North York Moors. Instead of starting the climb up to the top of the moors from Osmotherly first thing Friday morning we could be doing it shortly after lunch on Thursday. We decided the best way was via Swainby, about 15 miles from Acorn Corner via quiet country roads.

We were in no great hurry, but the roads were flat and it was easy to rumble along at a steady 15 mph. We stopped a couple of times to take photographs. In East Harlsey, while Martin dealt with a crisis at work, I decided to fix my lowest gear so I could have an easier climb into the Moors. It had been slipping so I just had to adjust the limiting screw. Martin had never worked with derailleur gears before so I passed on my scant knowledge. He builds classic motorbikes for fun, so if I know something that he doesn't, I feel good.

Crossing the A19 we rode into Ingleby Cross and began looking for somewhere to stop for Lunch. There's not much there, so we headed on up into Swainby. As we entered the village, there was a warning sign with a duck on it. I noticed it, but didn't think much of it until we turned a corner and were met by a very strange sight. The whole street had ground to a halt because about twenty ducks and ducklings were parading across the road.

Lunch was in the beer garden of the Black Horse pub, where we spent some time plotting our route up into the Moors.

No comments:

Post a Comment