23 February 2010

knew I wouldn't keep it up

So it would appear that my regular entries to the old blog are slipping. I'll bring you up to date. Friday two weeks ago I took the bike on the train to work, then cycled home. I wasn't properly prepared - I was wearing jeans and boots, and I didn't have any water or food with me. I know it's only 25 miles, but there's no point making life harder than it has to be.

Coming out of the city it's uphill for the first few miles. I was tootling along, pleased with myself that I wasn't off and pushing (OK so it's not that steep) when a man in his seventies whooshed past me on a racing bike. Boy did I feel inadequate. I caught up with him at the lights and he slowed down so we could chat. He was 'winter training' but on his good bike because apparently there's a race next week. He told me I should do some charity cycle at the end of march, because it's for all abilities. Of course I promptly forgot where it is. Then he recommended a quiet road that'd take me home and hared off into the distance.

Maybe when I'm in my seventies I'll suddenly become that fit.

No comments:

Post a Comment