02 June 2010

Motorbikes and Volcanic ash

Martin's a bit of a motorbike enthusiast, so he flew over for a few days to watch the North West 200. I got home from Chicago on the Saturday, so we all watched the races together. On Monday, volcanic ash meant their flight home wasn't until 7pm, so Martin borrowed Alex's bike and the two of us headed for Woodburn forest.

I've wanted to ride there since I caught sight of the triple reservoir a few years ago from the air. It's also popular with local riders.
After my experiences on the extreme flat of the plains, I was struggling up the hills. Actually I found myself struggling to keep pace travelling downhill as well. And on the flat. Martin made a comment about the first half hour being hard work before your body loosens up, but I just grunted "no!" because I wasn't loosening up, and I couldn't understand why.

We kept going for half an hour or so, and when I stopped for a break I lifted my back wheel and gave it a spin. It didn't. Looking a bit closer we realised that the brake was jammed on. I think it must have been when I refitted the wheel after I got that puncture and Jed gave me a lift home. I've never touched disc brakes before. I'd read about them in the Haynes manual, but never touched them. Reluctant to look foolish in front of Martin, I dropped the wheel out twiddled and twisted and - actually they're not that complicated. I got the pad so it wasn't touching the disc and couldn't believe the difference! It was like the bike was 10kg lighter.

we rode on, and I had no bother keeping up. Maybe it wasn't the brakes. Maybe it was that elusive first half hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment