16 June 2010

the Schedule - Overruled

The Schedule said I had to do three hours on the mountain bike on Saturday. My Daughter said I had to take her to the Lough Shore. My Daughter won.

I loaded her and her brother into the bike trailer, Granda borrowed my marin, and we took the scenic route down along the river, through the castle gardens and down to the shore; ate ice cream, watched the pirate ship race, saw a demonstration rescue by Lough Neagh Rescue and lay in the sunshine.

I couldn't help but notice a girl in the crowd with her arm in a sling and a plaster cast all the way up to her shoulder looking awkward holding a wee baby. That wrist surgery's never far from my mind these days.

Martin does a lot of his training with weights on his ankles. Personally I don't see the logic in this, because the weight's balanced - so when you have to pull one weight up, the other's pushing down, cancelling out the effort. Pulling a five year old and a three year old behind you in a trailer, on the other hand, now that's a definite training enhancement.

The problem is that my straight line cycling fitness isn't my biggest worry. I really need to improve my off-road skill, so tomorrow I'm heading down to the Mournes for an overnighter, taking my new £10 Lidl lightweight tent, sleeping in my as-yet-not-used Scottish Silkworm sleeping bag liner, and cooking on... I'm not sure which of my too-many stoves I'll take.

I wonder where my compass is.

1 comment:

  1. Hi! John. When I see your blog I do think I take myself and my life too seriously. When we were younger we did all that stuff too. A tent and a 7 seater in Donegal. Heavy rain and thunder and lightening. Every time we turned over in the tent there was a squelching noise! We had six children sharing the car and tent with us. Best time of our lives. You were probbly right to obey your daughter. She will be ruthless when she is older!!! Joking. I have eight grand children now. No matter what we experience in our lives they are most important. Our kids. And Grand children. Your website is brill. I'm glad we met. My wife is impressed by all this. It was hard to get her interested before we discovered your blog. Thanks. Toni.

    ReplyDelete