10 June 2010

that railway

I had another attempt at tracing the Randalstown-Toome railway. My strategy wasn't complicated. I rode along the road, and followed every turn off that the map said would cross the line.

The railway marks part of the western boundary of Randalstown forest, so I headed down there. On the road down I came across an unusual feature. At a guess i'd say the road over the bridge must have got damaged, so instead of repairing it, they just moved the road, filling in a path across the railway cutting and leaving the top of the bridge visible at the side of the road.

Unlike Tardree, Randalstown forest's pretty flat and featureless, and consequently isn't frequented by bikers. It is home to "World of Owls" though, which I'll have to take the wains to sometime.
I got to the point where the path is closest to the forest boundary, but it was all inaccessible through the dense trees.

At the next turn off I missed the crossing entirely because, as before, there have been houses built over it. I did find myself down near the lough though and enjoyed the view.

I'm beginning to think this railway line is totally inaccessible - and from what I've seen of it, even if I do get access it'll be totally overgrown and unrideable. Still, I've no intention of giving up.

No comments:

Post a Comment