02 June 2010

technical features

Neither of us are speed demons, so we spent the next hour potterng through the forest, honing our low speed technical skills. I've read that momentum gives stability. It's got to be true, because to balance on a bike at all you've got to be moving. So low speed riding over technical terrain is inherently unstable.

And with moss-covered forest floor, a multitude of technical features lie totally concealed.

(you know where i'm heading with this, don't you?)

Even entire tree stumps have been known to become completely invisible when covered in sphagnum.

OK, so I fell off.

Over the handlebars, facing back to where Martin was coming behind me, the reflector on my handlebars shattered and bits of plastic flew past my head as my face brushed the tree stump on the way down.

Martin was looking me in an interested sort of way.... "Why're you coming back this way?" he thought.
I thought "I wonder is that shoulder dislocated?" so I calmly said "Martin, is there any chance you could please assist with disentangling me from this wreckage?"

so he did, and we rode on. Apart from the smashed front reflector (waste of space anyway) there was no damage to the bike. My shoulder was sore for a few days, but nothing serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment