17 March 2010

hallucinations

I decided to come in a slightly different route to work today.
I knew that there's a cycle path along the side of the M2, so I thought I'd have a look for it. From Glengormley, I headed down towards the lough, turned onto the shore road towards Whiteabbey. I wasn't quite sure how to get across the railway line and the motorway to reach the cycle path, but I ducked under the first bridge I found, out into Gideon's Green, which I'd never seen before. Then along a path where there's another bridge going under the M2. Surprisingly simple.

I was just up to speed when a hefty redheaded girl came up behind me ting-tinging her bell and forced me to swerve towards a dog-walker as she bombed past on her Raleigh. at first I was a bit miffed that she was going faster than me, but then I realised she cycles the way my mother-in-law drives - get to top gear as soon as possible and leave it there no matter how much the engine labours.

I soon reeled her in on the next incline and pulled alongside for a chat. "Hello" says I. she glanced at me and said nothing. "Beautiful day". silence. It was the strangest thing. She completely blanked me. As we rode along, side by side, beautiful scenery, lovely weather, not another soul in sight, she just kept pedalling as if I wasn't even there. When we got to the end of the path she stopped, turned and headed back the way we'd come. Maybe she wasn't real. Maybe I'd had too much lucozade sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment