06 January 2010

big hills scare me

I was riding to the physio on Monday. It looked flat enough on google maps (!), but I turned a corner and I could see the road towering above the houses up ahead. I tried to reason with myself - I've surely cycled up steeper, longer hills than this before; but try as I might, my heart was pounding, I was breathing unnecessarily hard and I couldn't bring my body under control. I had to face the embarrassment of getting off and walking the last 100m to the top.
It wasn't that the hill was too steep. I know that because I rode it on the way back without breaking a sweat. It was purely psychological - it looked so impressive stretching up in front of me, and also it was totally unexpected.
I need to get my head into shape as well as my body.

No comments:

Post a Comment