08 January 2010

So what did he say?

He sent me for an X-ray to check for ulnar variance. Normally the head of your ulna is a bit shorter than your radius. Mine's about 2mm longer. That increases the load placed on the ulna, but also allows the ulna to compress the TFCC Triangular FibroCartilage Complex. It is likely that my TFCC is torn or worn through. This can be confirmed with an MRI scan.
(That picture's not my x-ray, but it looks similar. I hope Oregon Uni don't mind me using this)

The solution?
IF that's the problem ... he'll slice open my arm, break the ulna, shave off a couple of millimetres of bone, and bolt it back together. I'd be in plaster for 6-8 weeks, but because I cycle and canoe he'd want me to take a bit longer recovery time. Maybe 10 weeks.

All very simple and matter of fact. He does it every day.
I don't do it every day, and I thought it was a sprained wrist.

Now with the NHS I'd expect the MRI scan to be in December 2012 and the surgery to be in August 2015 (OK so maybe a very slight exaggeration there) so I'd just do this ride as normal, but Mr. Swain mentioned that IF the MRI scan shows a tear the possible date for surgery could be as soon as THE BEGINNING OF FEBRUARY!!!!! Four Weeks! 30 Days! NEXT MONTH!!

I told him about our planned coast to coast. He was confident that IF it's torn, and IF he operates in February, it could be healed in plenty of time, even allowing for minor complications, but he very sensibly pointed out that missing 2-3 months of training could scupper me for the ride. Another option he offered would be to do the surgery after the ride, but IF it needs done I think I want it done and dusted and out of the way as soon as possible.

I think I do.

Now I just have to wait for the MRI scan.
It's not the coast to coast ride I'd intended for this blog, but you've got to admit that it is mildly exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment