29 January 2010

those cats were fast as lightning

Training this far ahead of the the event, the aim is to improve general fitness. I'm not getting enough time in the saddle to make a huge difference, so I decided to do some cross training. Ritchie Walker, one of the guys from work is running a 10-week kung fu fitness course, so I signed up. I thought it'd be full on kung fu fighting, but it's just using the punches and kicks from kung fu to improve fitness. Perfect.

Yesterday was the first day, and we started off with chain punches. I counted up, and we did more than 2000 punches in the first ten minutes as a 'warm up'. For me, whose strength and endurance are all in my legs, this was a real eye opener. I have NO upper body strength. After the chain punches I went to take a drink of water and couldn't lift the bottle to my mouth. I'm not exaggerating. I couldn't lift the bottle to my mouth.

Then we went on to learn a variety of punching and kicking combinations. First day, so I spent more time learning the techniques rather than actually working out during this part, but I know Ritchie, so I'm under no illusions; from next week those chain punches really will be just a warm up.

Ten weeks of this will either kill me, or it'll turn me into a killer fighting machine, and riding from St. Bees to Robin Hood Bay will seem like a bit of a rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment