20 January 2010

Second gear

We need to carry our gear in something.

I've got three backpacks designed for the bike - I know I can only wear one at a time, but let me finish.

1. I've a Hydrapak Big Sur that came with a 2.5l water reservoir. I'll use the reservoir, but the bag itself is a bit small for a 5-day trek.

2. my old Jack Wolfskin Stinkfoot. Excellent bag with a pocket at the front; a big secure flap for a helmet, but I've used that for everything from shoes to shopping; and a big main compartment for everything else. I used it every day for nearly ten years and it's taken shocking abuse, but it's still in pretty good condition. If Martin needs a bag I can lend him that.

3. Deuter Bike 1. I got it on the cycle to work scheme last year and use it every day instead of stinkfoot. The back breathes better, and it's got a couple of mesh side pockets, a pocket for the water reservoir and a waterproof cover. It's very well designed and it seems to be standing up well to the way I treat it.


I don't intend to carry everything myself. Not when I've a bike beneath me. I have a rack that should fit the bike, I chose one that would fit with disc brakes although I haven't tested that claim yet.
Originally I thought panniers, but surely they'd get in the way on rougher terrain.
I checked out what other people do.

In Alaska they have multi-day mountain bike races on the Iditarod trail, and most of the riders seem to use Frame bags from Epic Designs. Genius idea. I actually have an old frame bag, but it's a tiny thing, just big enough for a spare tube and a mobile phone. Then I was reading a story on Alpkit's website and saw this picture! Of course it's a prototype, but I wrote to them anyway, asking if I could at least test it. They'll probably say no. I wonder if my sister could throw one together - postage is a bit much from Alaska.

I'll also bungee a drybag to the rack.

How much carrying space I need depends on how much we take, and I'm hoping to pare that down to the bare minimum.

No comments:

Post a Comment