05 January 2010

I have to start somewhere.

We'll never be the world's greatest explorers, but Martin and I have decided to venture outside our usual routines and ride across England from St. Bees to Robin Hood's bay.

I know Martin's wanted to do it for years, ever since he read an article in some mountain biking mag, and I have all this outdoor gear that never gets used because I feel guilty enough abandoning Alex with the kids as often as I do.

At first I thought he meant the Sustrans route and couldn't work out why he thought it was a tough challenge. Then he showed me on the map when the family all got together at Christmas.

Oh Boy.

It's set then. At the start of July we'll get the boat over, Alex and the wains will stay with Tiny and the kids while Martin and I kill ourselves.

We've only got 5 days, and we have to do it self supported, carrying everything on the bikes - camping gear, bike gear, cooking gear, food, water... no point making it too easy eh?

I've been thinking and planning a bit already, so i'll bring you up to speed over the next few posts.


No comments:

Post a Comment