05 January 2010

following in other people's tyretreads


To find out what sort of challenge we're taking on I started searching to see who's done it in the past and what they thought of it. I vaguely remembered Julia Bradbury walking coast to coast on one of her TV shows, and sure enough - St. Bees to Robin Hood Bay. Shows how much I was concentrating on the route.


So that means there's an Alfred Wainwright book, albeit for walkers, covering the general route we'll be taking. I'm told his books make good reading.


So what about mountain bikers? well I found the packhorse website where they do organised holidays, looking after your bags, arranging accomodation, providing minibus support etc. £345 is probably quite good for a 5-day crossing, but last year our family holiday cost £60 for two weeks, so I'm sure I can whittle down the costs.
Their website mentions Tim Woodcock's book, which looks like another one to add to the library before we go.


I liked Nick Bauer's blog. it gave an insight into the actual journey - struggling, carrying, taking wrong turns... They had a support van and stayed in Youth Hostels; we intend to carry all our gear and I've got to camp out soon or I'll get claustophobic. Martin thinks we'll maybe camp out some nights and stay in B&B some (he's getting on in years). I might be able to live with that.


After that I dug up the maps and gps data from mtb trail finder. I had to register to see them, but it was well worth the effort. that's some scary climbing - though of course they did it in four days, not five.

No comments:

Post a Comment