21 January 2010

Result!

Mr Swain, the orthopaedic hand surgeon, phoned me at home last night with the results of my MRI scan.
The bad news is that I've got a perforated TFCC, a ganglion and a perforation in my scaphoid cartilage.
Since I've got no pain on the radius (thumb) side of my wrist, we can ignore the scaphoid 'problem'.
The ganglion and the TFCC issues would be solved (probably - there's no certainties with wrist surgery) with ulnar shortening. That's the operation where they break my arm and bolt it together again. It's supposed to be really really painful, but then after you recover from the surgery the odds are very good that everything will be near normal.

The good news is that he agreed to let me just get on with the training until I can't stand it any more, and do the operation then. That might be never, but somehow I think I'll throw in the towel within a year if it stays as bad as it's been lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment